For example: paediatricians, GPs, youth workers, those working in the early years sector, residential staff, midwives, school nurses, sexual health staff, teachers, probation staff, police (including those in specialist child protection roles) sports club welfare officers, those working with adults in, for example, learning disability, mental health, alcohol and drug misuse services, those working in community play schemes.
- Know more about the history of child protection and disability and think about how it affects their work today
- Explored some common assumptions about disability and abuse and how these adversely affect the likelihood of child protection enquiries
- Know about current legislation, child protection procedures and sharing information, and be able to use this in assessments of children and parents
- Understand more about abuse and the vulnerability of disabled children, including information from research and learning from Serious Case Reviews, intrafamilial abuse and the risk of Child Sexual Exploitation
- Know what they need to do about the barriers to protecting disabled children
- Keep the child at the centre of the process.
Chris Freestone has worked with young people across health, education and social care. She began as a paediatric nurse becoming a nurse lecturer at Exeter College, then retrained in education culminating in a post as the head teacher at the Dame Hannah Rogers Trust – a school for young people with the most complex health needs. In between she has fitted in work as the director of an independent fostering agency and as a lead inspector for CSCI and with Ofsted. Chris has a strong footing in reflective, challenging practice and encourages participants to explore their experience, compare these to the requirements of the regulatory and inspection framework and take action that is right for young people.
booking and dates
The course is £99+VAT, inclusive of lunch at Dartington Hall and refreshments.
At this time there are no courses scheduled. If you are looking for an individual place please fill in the form on the right. If you want to book the course for your organisation or setting please contact us.
can’t make those dates?
sign up to our child protection and disability course waiting list here…